Michigan Website Hosting
Choosing your website hosting platform is very important. Choosing the wrong company or hosting package could give you some big headaches. In deciding on a hosting company and package there are a few things to consider.
- Does the server support your website programming / software?
- Do they have automatic back up of your files?
- Does the package include enough disk space for all your website files?
- Is the monthly bandwidth allotment enough to handle your forecasted traffic.
- How timely is the support if you have a problem?
- Does the hosting company have a data center in your region?
- Will you have a dedicated IP address?
Do they have the most recent server security protocols?
The above questions are things you need to know when choosing a web hosting company and hosting package. Let’s go over the questions.
- Support of programming: If you have a website that is programmed in PHP in most cases you will need a minimum standard of PHP installed on a server for your website to function. Other software will require specific minimum requirements as well.
- Automatic back-ups: Let’s say the server goes down (it happens), and you lose half of your website files. In most cases the average user will not have a local back up of those files, so auto back-ups are a good thing to have. In most cases all you will need to do is call the hosting company and request a re-installation of the most current backed up version of your site and they will handle it from there.
- Server disk space: If you have a small 5 or 6 page small business website you will probably not need more than 50megs of disk space, but if you’re are running an e-commerce website or a website that as custom database programming you may need up to 1000megs of space. Most hosting companies offer 10gigs all the way up to unlimited disk space because they know you will never come close to reaching the limit and it’s a good way to market their product.
- Bandwidth limits: Simply put, if you reach your bandwidth limit your website will go down. In such a case you will need to wait until your monthly cycle comes around or you upgrade your hosting package.
- Support: Things happen, but when they do you need those things resolved quickly. We’ve found that support centers located in the USA or the UK are much easier to deal with and tend to solve problems more efficiently. Try to avoid companies with support centers in India, Mexico, Russia and China.
- Data centers: Let’s say you own a service business in Michigan and your serviceable area is a 100 mile radius from your physical location. You will want the closest data center to Michigan such as Chicago or New York, and you don’t want a data center located in California or Texas. The reason is simple, when a person in Michigan searches for your service and clicks on your website you want your website to load fast. The closer the data center to the person that clicks on your site the faster your site will load. Remember, Google does rank sites on how fast they load.
- Dedicated IP Addresses: Most servers are shared servers which means many other websites are hosted on a single server in most cases hundreds of websites with the same IP. It’s not a bad thing, but it could affect sending email. What happens is one or two of the websites on the shared server may be sending out spam and get the shared IP blacklisted. This is more of a nuisance than anything, so if you can spend the extra money and get a dedicated IP it may be a good idea.
- Security protocols: Most large hosting companies have the latest technology, but our advice is to always do your research.
- We would take care of everything listed above if you are one of our web design clients, and we would handle choosing the hosting package as well.
Need Michigan Search Engine Optimization?
Web 7 Marketing Inc (Michigan SEO Firm & Michigan Web Designers)
Serving: Clarkston, Rochester, Southfield, Grand Blanc, West Bloomfield, Macomb, and all of Michigan & the USA.
Need WordPress Web Design + SEO?